Changing a 78 NYB brake system to use a 75 Imperial rear disc brake setu

Changing a 78 NYB brake system to use a 75 Imperial rear disc brake setup?

The car I got the rear axle off of is a complete rust bucket, and the reason I am going to put this rear end in a NYB is that I need to have it tow a 75 Imperial 2 door with a sun roof (restorable) about 500 miles so I can get started on this project – a custom 75 Imperial coupe.

The rear end will have a rebuilt 3.21 Sure Grip with rebuilt calipers, rebuilt parking brakes and linings, hoses and lines, and calipers that are just over/under the minimum specs.  This rear end is the result of about a year of scrounging, $190 in new parts, and the donor car’s shell.

I have a rebuilt master cylinder and booster.  I have taken the proportioning valve from the original 75 Imperial, but I am wondering if I really need it.  From the research I have done, the volume of the brake fluid in the cylinder is very important due to the fact that when disc brake linings wear, more fluid is needed than when drum brake linings wear.  The rebuilt master cylinder and booster would solve this problem.

The proportioning valve from the 75 Imperial is workable, but the brake removal is a real pain, especially on the car receiving the valve.

My question is:  Has anyone ever done this, and is the proportioning valve critical to the effectiveness of the rear disc brakes?  I have thought of using an external proportioning valve because all of the work can be done on the bench before I put it in the car.  If I have to do this, since this valve is only an adjustable restrictor, would I put it on the front or rear brake line?

Any help with this would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,

Henry