Re: IML: Getting '65 ready for the Nats/ Wowy Zowy & Ouch!

RandalPark@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Hmmmm, this really does sound like back yard mechanics. Guess that we all are forced into that from time to time, but welding the center bearing support bracket?

     	Well, I'm not forced into it but choose to do all of
the work except when I don't have the correct special tools
like for machine work, and I do love to experiment and try
out non-standard solutions.  Technically, though, the main
building for heavy work, with the lift, etc, is in front of
my house.
	If I have vibration with the welded up carrier, I'll
replace it later with a proper one, if not, I've come out
well, and I'll post the results here either way.  I agree
100% on the brakes though, and I'll be checking later this
morning to try to get the parts in time.  I did convert to a
dual brake system and so enjoy a bit of extra margin.
	I followed the factory service manual on the driveshaft
removal but still had to push back the third member to get
the rear CV joint studs to clear out of the yoke.  As I
found in working on the power windows recently, the '65
manual seems to leave out important stuff.  Another member
gave me some good advice on the windows, so maybe someone
has an easier solution for the driveshaft. I thought about
trying to remove the studs from the CV assembly for
clearance, don't know if there's enough room to do that
since I didn't try it.  And I added my carelessness with the
rag as a little self-deprecating comedy to what I hoped
would be an interesting read.
	Anyway, I can't argue with your recommendations, and
thanks.

Bill Parker, South Central Indiana
'56 Chrysler Windsor; '60 Chrysler Saratoga; '62 Plymouth
Max Wedge; '64 Dart Convertible (Kathi's car); '65 Imperial;
'65 Barracuda \6 (Kathi's other car);'68 Barracuda Fastback
340-S; '69 Barracuda Fastback now 360 (20 y.o. son's car);
'72 Cuda 340