Re: IML: Getting '65 ready for the Nats/ Wowy Zowy & Ouch!

Re: IML: Getting '65 ready for the Nats/ Wowy Zowy & Ouch!

Hmmmm, this really does sound like back yard mechanics. Guess that we all are forced into that from time to time, but welding the center bearing support bracket?

A couple of things caught my attention.

First, the shocks will not be enough to solve the problem with the sagging rear end. If this is to be fixed right, the car should have new rear leaf springs. It also sounds like the shocks are not the correct ones for the car. They can be special ordered. Rear shocks are easier to find the front ones. Rear leafs are not that difficult to come by and can always be made up at a spring shop.

The drive shafts should be able to be disassembled without loosening up the rear axle. I think that the shop manual explains that to do this, simply drop the rear of the drive line at the differential. I have done this at least twice, but not on my '65. I realize that it may have different u-joints than previous models, but should come apart the same way.

What has been done to the center bearing in the interest of making a "long trip" would concern me more than anything else about this so far. The center bearing support bracket is not impossible to get and should run around $100.00. The only one that is really difficult to find is the one for convertible models, which is special and unique.

I have found that if I am going to fix something, the only way to fix is correctly, or not at all. I think our male brains often refuse to admit defeat even when it only means waiting a couple of days for a new part. I think that the biggest clue about something not going right here would have been the rag catching on fire in the pants pocket.

Finally, any doubts about the brakes, even if it is only on one side of the car, means that a complete brake job should be done.

Paul