Re: IML: transmission leak

You can buy "Denatured Alcohol" at any drug store (even Wal-Mart, I'm sure). It will say "Denatured" on the bottle, and be there with all the other alcohol.

A transmission shop owner told me about this trick one time. With the engine running, pour 1/4 cup, no more, down the filler tube. Warm it up and drive it around.

I did this a whole winter when I was in college and my '61 Galaxie would stay in 1st gear only until everything warmed up. Got me thru that winter of college. The alcohol would last approximately 2 weeks, and then I'd have to do it again. But it worked!

Not saying brake fluid won't work too -- just probably more expensive.

--Brooks in Dallas

dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I think the answer to this Dave is use the brake fluid with "moderation". What
that means is just pour in a little bit, and wait to see what happens. If the
leak persists may be add just a hair more, and I mean, a calibrated hair, here
:) ... Also, I think the "active" ingredient of the brake fluid is
alcohol (please correct me if I am wrong).

Quoting Dave Grove <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

rake fluid *will* "expand" the rubber stuff, - that's for sure. But like
some of the products made for this purpose, - it has no idea when to *quit*
"expanding" things. SO if you ever have to take that transmission apart, -
you're in for the time of your life. Everything (with rubber in it, - which
is a lot of stuff in an automatic transmission) will be (almost) permanently
"seized".