parted 68 on ebay

Quoting Rob P <fristpenny@xxxxxxxxxxx>:

> >  Cheap source for a TNT 440 for his rubber burning toy.  I told him there
> >is
> >nothing special with that 440 even though it says TNT on the air cleaner,
>

> I'm with you on keeping restorable cars together, but aren't the TNT motors
> somewhat different than the regular 440s?  Like the Super Commando
> (Plymouth) and Magnum (Dodge)?

Rob, this was/is supposedly a low mileage car, so it probably has the original
engine.  The high output 440 with the bigger cam (I think called TNT on the
Chrysler line) was not offered in the Imperial.  The only engine option
available in the 68's only as far as I am concerned was the dual 440, which had
a dual exhaust and dual snorkel air cleaner.  Even though this offers a useful
performance improvement, its not the "TNT".  So, what I suspect is that his car
just had the TNT stickers/air cleaner cover.  I did suggest to him that he can
check the ID plate behind the AC compressor, this will tell him for sure
whether or not he has the "high output" 440.  But at any case, what really
makes the "hp" an "hp", is its 268/284 duration cam (as opposed to the 256/260
of the standard 440), so if the engine comes off the car, replacing the cam is
trivial and relatively inexpensive.  The other differences, like the high rise
exhaust manifolds and windage tray make little performance difference, but they
can also be added (the former may be hard to find or expensive).  So, as I told
him, his 440 is nothing special, and he is better off leaving where it is and
try to sell the car as a unit.

Most of his items have zero bids anyway, so far.  I hope it stays that way, so
the guy can realize fast that he won't make a fortune out of these parts and
put it back together again.  As for IML members that may be tempted, there are
many people in the IML that have unrestorable parts cars just for this reason,
and are willing to hod on to them for years.

D^2