Chromium Valves

I have owned many "MOPARS" with the 440 and 413 blocks, and have never worried about the lack of lead in gas. WHY? Was told by an old machinist that Chrysler has always had a higher nickel alloy content in their "Iron" that ensured a no recess problem. In fact, when I had my 1972  440 rebuilt 15 years ago, a very prominent engine rebuilder in my area had a set of Close Chambered 1967 heads that had the smaller 1.600"exhaust valves and he would sell them to me and install the 1.750 exhaust valves. I said that yes I would take them and told him to install the larger valves and asked him about installing "hardened valve seats" . His response was to ask me if my primary driving would be Street or Strip. I said Street and he said "Not to Bother installing them" since he has never seen a set of MOPAR street heads with a valve recession problem!! I installed the 67 heads, which raised my 72 compression ratio from an 8.2 to slightly over 10.0 to 1, and had Forged Pistons installed. The motor still runs fine today.

--
Mike Veronesi
Member of the

Hello All,
Went to visit my 64 at the only shop in town that I would trust with it. As I got the preliminary bill for work preformed, a gentleman in his late 70's came over to chat. After the usual " I haven't seen one like this in years..." he made a rather remarkable statement. Seems around 1970 he had his mid 60's Dodge motor home in to the local mopar dealer. He asked the head mechanic what to do about the unleaded gas situation. He was particularly worried about the unleaded gas in his pre unleaded era 413. The answer was that the valves were chromium plated so they would not wear prematurely. He did say that this was a "truck" version of the 413.
My question is simple. Was this a brushoff from the mechanic? If not, is it possible that all 413 were constructed in this manner? Comments?

Alla n from Billings, Montana