The "rubber band" tire debate (sort of)

>Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 12:22:17 -0500
>From: dardal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>I am considering a far milder conversion for my 68 Sedan in the far future.
>Extra heavy duty shocks, thicker sway bar, rear sway bar, and slightly
stiffer
>rear leaf springs would probably work better than stock in terms of
handling
>(with deterioration of ride of course).  If I changed tire size, I would
get a
>245/70R15 or 255/70R15 (notice, the profile does not drop below 70, and I
use
>the stock rims, parly so I can use the stock wheel covers).  This would
>maintain the diamater and the gearing of the car, plus it would be feasible
>get better speed rating, which is the main reason for all that (I have
never
>seen a 235/75R15 with better than S-rating, good for 112 mph continuous).
I am
>not interested in a Porche-like handling Imperial, but I would not mind
>improving some one of my Imps, while the other remained stock. I think that
>driving skill can compensate much of the "shortcomings" of you car compared
>a modern, as long as the car handles in a predictable manner.

   I eventually went to BF Goodrich Touring T/As on my '62, in 255 / 70 /
15, with KYBs all around. It had great grip and handled quite nicely,
considering. The only problem they gave me was that they had too much grip
at rest, requiring more power than the steering pump could easily produce to
turn, if the car was stationary. Those tires had a nice whitewall too - too
bad they don't make 'em anymore (at least I don't think they do).
  Eventually my '69 will have something similar (got the rear KYBs, waiting
for the fronts to be back in stock), though I expect I'll go with a somewhat
narrower tire.
  I like a higher speed-rated tire too, when I drove my '62 cross country I
went through most of the midwest at an indicated 100+...
    -Kle.