IML: Touch Up Paint

My 1970 was repainted (somewhat poorly) and had 360 degrees of small chips taken out of it in various places.

I went to the auto paint supply store, they pressed a small handheld digital "paint camera" device to the paint surface of a door and then uploaded into the store computer.  I got 4 ounces of paint for $9 that matched the car perfectly, and this was on a close, but not factory color of unknown pigmantation.

They also sold me some microfiber "brushes" that look like miniature Q-tips.  The microfiber carries the paint into the pit of the scratch, covers it with paint, and draws excess paint back into the microfibers so that you leave an even film of paint and not a bubble that sticks above the rest of the finish.  20 brushes were $9, so for under $20 I got to really tighten up the car's appearance at 3 paces - a good result no matter how you slice it.

Kenyon Wills