Re: IML: '60 LeBaron Wheel Covers

'60 LeBaron wheel covers are very rare. They were a one year only item, and there were less than 2,000 cars built. I have no idea what the replacement stock was like for these, but finding any in a wrecking yard at this late date would be very unlikely. I would guess that there never were more than 8,000 of these wheel covers in existance at their peak.

When ever I have spotted a '60 Le Baron in a wrecking yard, I have always looked for these wheel covers. I didn't start looking for them until the cars were about 10 years old. Since then, I have found three in wrecking yards and hub cap suppliers. This has been after over 30 years of looking, and finding a total of 11 LeBarons in wrecking yards over the years. The cars I found usually had the special covers replaced with standard ones. More than once I requested the trunk forced open to check there too.

In one yard in Lewiston, Idaho, they removed all of the covers as the cars came in and threw them in a pile. When I saw that they had a '60 LeBaron, I spent two days going through that pile. I found three standard wheel covers and one LeBaron cover. They sold me the one wheel cover for $10.00.

I do not look as much as I used to, but I found one on E-bay in May 2004. I won the auction by placing an extremely high bid. In addition, the person who had it did not know exactly what they had. That makes the total I have found in my life add up to four.

My car had two LeBaron wheel covers when I got it, so now I have a full set, plus two spares. Even at that, most of the time that I drove the car, I used the standard wheel cover to keep from losing the special LeBaron covers.

I really hope that your guy is able to find what you are looking for in his stock of over 1,000,000 wheel covers, but even with that large of a collection, the chance of finding a '60 LeBaron wheel cover is slim. Don't be too disappointed if they don't find one, and DO keep on looking.

Paul