IML: leather vs vinyl

Wow, what a GORGEOUS leather seat! I would love to see the rest of the car, if the interior is this nice!

As others have noted, the wear markings that leather will develop on seating surfaces will be more uniform as this example shows nicely - the creases all run to the point that bears the most weight or stress. On newer surfaces, you wil sometimes need to get a good look at the back of the material. All vinyl will have a fabric backing, either knit or woven, and it's readily apparent if you can get a look at the edge of a piece - you will see that stray thread.

I've recently done replacement of leather that I swore was vinyl til I got it off the piece (office chair), though, the quality was so poor and flimsy! The good marine vinyl I replaced the damage with will last much better.

 If getting a gander at the bottom is not a reality, just rubbing with a sponge dampened with saddle soap will tell the story - leather will soften and absorb, while vinyl will merely clean up.

Kate Justet Triplett
Kate's Custom Gunleather
Monroe, Washington
Proud mother of a soldier
and owner of  "Lucille" 1968 Crown (Antique Gold leather interior)