[FWDLK] SQUISHY BRAKES OPN '59 BELLE'

Hey fellas, I got a sorta question.( But first off I hope your all watchin
that TEMPTATIONS mini series. Alot of nice cars in that movie, including a '58
Belle' 2 door hardtop)
OK so heres the question. Im buying this '59 Belvedere 4 door Sedan. She's in
sweet condition in most everyway.............but.............. the brakes are
real squishy feeling. It takes a couple of pumps to get her to start working
correctly. As far as I can tell most all of the parts of the braking system
have been replaced in the last ten years with the front drums having been done
recently. Today my wife test drove it and the brakes were really scary to her.
(power steering was a jewel she said) She said that if she just pressed them
once the car basically kept going some before stoping. Now this is obviously
and unsafe condition. Now it sounds to me like the brakes need bleeding to
remove some air. Yet the former owner said that that was just how those breaks
are. Said ya gotta pump em up alittle. Now I had read a "Car and Driver"
magazine article on the net about the "58 and test results on it that
mentioned a problem with the brakes on this car. Does anyone know or have any
ideas about this matter. Im sorta worried about driving her home. (Im paying
for her in 3 payments- then I really own her)