Re: [FWDLK] type a transmission fluid?

Dave Stragand wrote:

> Glenn A. LaGasse wrote:

> i am a bit low on transmission fluid and was looking to add some
> yesterday. my owner's manual says (yeah it talks) that i need 'type A
> transmission fluid'. so a visit to two of my friendly local cars parts

> Car Collector had an article about trans fluid this month.  It seems
> that Type A fluid is actually its own unique type, of which I have
> never seen for sale anywhere.

> Type F fluid will give a Type A trans harsher shifts, as it adds more
> friction (actually the F is for "friction" not "Ford"). Dexron/Mercon
> will give a Type A trans softer shifts, as it reduces friction.  The
> article claims that neither one will hurt a Type A trans.

> So, if you want smoother shifts, use Dexron/Mercon.  If you want more
> of a performance feel, use Type F.  Neither is "correct", but neither
> will hurt the trans.

> I checked with several rebuilders, including Aamco, and none
> have seen Type A for sale in the last 25 years.  The general
> consensus is that any Dexron/Mercon fluid, with a thingy of
> anti-foaming agent (available at any GM parts counter), is the best
> substitute for Type A.

> -Dave

If this is true---   I was on the way home with my oldest boys new car
a 71 Plymouth Fury III with 30,150 miles, we stopped to check the oil
and discovered Type A fluid being sold by the little roadside gas stop
in the middle of nowhere.
I plan on checking on Hicks Oil, Duquione Ill. for this. That was the
name on the back of the plastic bottle.

Paul Holmgren
2 57 300-C's