Re: [FWDLK] more on paint

The tool referred to by Nick is called a "spectrometer" and indeed, it will
assist in matching faded or non-factory blends of paint.  The tool has been
around the industry for at least 40 years.

Special note here about PPG.   A restoration shop owned by friends of mine
has not always been satisfied with the results from the research library.
What they prefer to do is send in an original paint chip either from the car
or from the original paint chip pages and have THAT matched.  Then they know
what they are getting.

For any of you that collect paint chips, you know that the same color will
vary somewhat from one page to the next.  At PPG their original reference
chip could be on one end of a "range" or on the other.

Also, the materials used to mix today are not the original materials because
the EPA has forced changes in the chemistry over and over again.  PPG can
not sell original (for Chrysler) synthetic enamel nor nitrocellulose lacquer
nor umpteen formulas since our cars were built.  Because the chemistry has
changed, the color "matches" have changed.

Food for thought.

Wayne