Re: [FWDLK] 300F literature

Ken, Dave, and forwardlookers,

    There are actually two printings of the black and white (and
a few blue highlights) 300F folder with 4spd references and the
"4spd convertible" on the front.  There is no factory literature
"Form #" on these pieces.  I have both amongst my literature.
One is printed for the Detroit Auto Show and lists area dealers
on the last fourth of the back page.  The other may have been
for "other" shows as that same area has a section called
"Special Features".
    This folder was recalled from public distribution because
the 400 HP motor with Pont-a-Mousson 4spd option package was
never made publicly available.  The few cars with this package
are referred to as 300F Specials and last year original
documentation was unearthed revealing that internally at
Chrysler this was the "300F Gran Tourismo" package.
    Dave, if there is anything else in that back fourth of a
page on your printing, I would like to hear about it.
   The convertible with 4spd shifter showing is a photo studio
enhancement.  This was verified for Gil Cunningham, former
Chrysler employee and current Chairman of the Concours Standards
Committee of the Chrysler 300 Club Intl, by someone years ago.
I do not recall the person's name or position.
    There were a total of nine (or a remote possibility of 10)
Chrysler 300F Special Gran Tourismos assembled.  All were
considered prototypes by Chrysler engineer Paul Mallwitz, head
of the project who spoke to the club shortly before his passing.
There was a mockup test "mule" car, six prototypes created for
Daytona Speed Weeks (which were the six fastest cars on the
beach in 1960), then one hardtop for Andy Drumm of Fallon, NV
(ordered through his friend Bill Harrah's dealership in Reno)
and the last car was in fact a four speed convertible in white,
not the darker shade shown on the folders in question.
    Note that the photo inside the folder of Bob Rodger at the
wheel of a Special is not a convertible.  Depending on the
printing and cutting of the piece in front of you, you should be
able to see a piece of the roof rail and headliner of a hardtop.
This photo was taken in the "mule" car.
    Of the presumed nine cars built, four are known to exist in
Arizona, Illinois, Georgia, and Texas, two are known destroyed
in crashes and a combination of several stories and facts has
the "mule" car being parted out.  Two are unaccounted for but
there are some rumors.
    Hope this was helpful.

Wayne Graefen wrgraefen@xxxxxxxxxxx
See my 300F Special at www.carpictures.com