[FWDLK] AAAHHH-smoke!

I charged my battery and happily put it into my 58 Belvedere this morning.
So far so good. I polarized my regulator by jumping the Batt and A
terminals. The spark was bigger than I remember it being last time I did this...
 I hop in the car. Headlights-work, turn signals-work. Turn the key to on.
Wipers-work, guages-work, heater motor-works... All of a sudden I look up
and see smoke coming from the engine side of the firewall! Shut key
off-smoke stops... Turn key on-smoke starts. Now I'm freaking. Smoke seems
to come from around my master cylinder area, but the power brake booster
blocks my view. One more turn of the key to see if I can track the smoke-I
do. It's coming from a little box on the firewall. Turn key off for last
time. Feel this box-hot as hell. I'm looking at my wiring diagram now. Is
this my coil resister smoking that runs from the ignition switch to the
coil? Is it doing this because the car isn't running? Or, did I screw
something up when installing my instrument cluster, repairing my backup
light, or disconnecting my horns (all terminals taped up)?
 Any help would be appreciated!!
  Todd
 58 Belvedere 4 door Sport Sedan (almost ashes)