Re: [FWDLK] 6 to 12 VOLT Conversion....

Well, I'm working on it, too...on my 55 DeSoto, which is in that limbo
between restorals and hot rods.  The 6 volt charging system was shot,
although I could run the car off the battery for a little while.  I have
only partial solutions so far.  The biggest problem I'm encountering is the
polarity reversal.  Going 6 volt to 12 volt is pretty easy, but the
positive ground to negative ground part has been more of a problem.

My DeSoto needed new wiring anyway, but you might need to check whether
your old wiring can handle the load (anyone know?).  My DeSoto had NO
fuses, and I've installed a new fuse box along with the new wires.  The
starter was posing a real problem:  it will crank (enthusiastically!) at 12
volts positive ground, but durability might be a problem, and I think its
case grounded and I don't know how to overcome that.  My solution was to
swap in a modern Torqueflite in place of the Powerflite, using an adapter
plate so I could keep the 291 hemi.  This enables the use of the late model
starter.  (BTW, these adapter plates are available to hook 727/518
Torqueflites up, as well as Chevy auto/manual trannies...I just wanted to
stay Mopar...also had to replace driveshaft and rear end with late model).

Still working on the wiper motor and the heater fan.  Any suggestions out
there?  I'm even looking at aftermarket ac/heater systems to get to 12 volt
negative.  I think, but don't know yet, that I might be able to swap in a
more recent wiper motor.

Changed all the lights to 12 volt - just stick 'em in the sockets (except
one socket which needed a replacement).  Replaced the radio with
AM/FM/CD/cassette, replaced the gauges with AutoMeter gauges.  Replaced the
horn (old one didn't work anyway) with one salvaged from the wreckage of my
totaled pickup (I miss the pickup, but its voice lives on...)

Currently working on dropping in the late model electronic distributor (let
me know if you need the name of the supplier).   I got one ready to go, but
I've been told (I haven't seen this done) the distributor from any LA
engine will work with the proper shim change.

Steve