[FWDLK] Decision Time, 61 Fury

FFL's (Fellow Forward Lookers),

I managed to cobble enough of an exhaust system together this last weekend to
listen to the engine run without loosing my hearing.  I also got the brakes
working so i could drive the car around and warm it up.  What I heard, and saw,
was not good (so much for the "good running engine" the salesman was talking
about).

1. Plenty of blow-by coming out the oil filler cap.
2. Blue smoke out the tail pipe when revved.
3. Noise coming from the right side of the engine somwhere between the "thunk"
of a rod knock and the "thwack" of a piston slap.  Noise increases with engine
RPM.

Soooooo, rather than a quick fix to be a daily driver I have a project on my
hands.  Nothing new...

I have choices:

1. Rebuild the sick 318 wide-block.
2. Rebuild the sick wideblock with performance updates.
3. Buy a wedge V8, rebuild it, and stick it in.
4. Buy a wedge V8, rebuild it with performance updates, and stick it in.

Due to budget and time restraints, I think 3 & 4 are out.

What say the wisdom of the list on this?

Bruce Clough
61 Newport
61 Fury