Re: [FWDLK] WHY??

--------
>From: rhoward@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>To: William.Lewis6@xxxxxxx
>Subject: Re: [FWDLK] WHY??
>Date: September 07, 1998
>
>walter,
>the way I heard it, the government   wanted to standardize automatic
>transmission selectors, in the name of safety. Chrysler's pushbuttons lost
>out to the column shift

  I heard *Chrysler* banned the pushbutton, because of the lost Rental Car
 Market sales - Avis & Hertz did
not want to confuse their customers with "pushbuttons" and the inherent
 liability of accidents during the
learning curve since most clients, as sales figures would suggest, were GM &
 Ford (forget Edsel pushbuttons,
they didn't sell & Edsel & Packard was dead by this date)!  Chrysler needed
 continuance & entry into the
now booming Rental Car Market so caved in, Ford joined the party by throwing in
 the Hertz/Shelby!!  The
government didn't intervene until the late mid to late 60's with seat belts, NOX
 controlls, front bumper mph
survival mandates, etc!

Jack Lewis
Golden Fin Society
>Date: Monday, September 07, 1998 8:09 AM
>Subject: [FWDLK] WHY??
>

>>Not that i'm complaining, ok i am complaining, we all have cars from the
>>foward look era of 55-61.  What does the Chrysler Mercedes merge have to do
>>with our cars?  Why are you sending out messages about it?  are we losing
>>discussion topics?  if so  i have some in mind.
>>
>>1.I read somwhere that in 65, pushbutton tranny's were banned,  yet they
>were
>>very reliable.  WHY?
>>2 Why does the 58 Plymouth have no front parking lights?  They Do! Right
 between and above the two
headlights!

Jack Lewis
Golden Fin Society