[FWDLK] ruined chrome

While my '60 Dodge Dart has been worked on, I had the chrome trim stored in
the corner of my garage. Some garden fertilizer was spilled in the corner
and unknown to me, the ends of the trim stood in the fertilizer.  The
plating now has black oxidized looking powder on it.  Can anyone offer
suggestions? Is the trim made out of stainless or aluminum so it could be
buffed?  Are there no solutions other than the obvious of having it
replated?
Thanks in advance for suggestions or sympathy.
Dan Merritt