[FWDLK] 392 Hemi Commando

A couple of months ago I asked if anyone had information about
'57 Plymouths that were special ordered to include a '57
Chrysler 392" hemi.  The air cleaner on the car in question has
a decal reading "392 Hemi Commando".  Owner of this '57
Belvedere has gotten info back from Chrysler Historical
Foundation.

The car is a Special Order car which was built 5/29 and shipped
5/31.   The motor in the car has a very late NYer series number
indicating this motor would have been built around August.  This
casts much doubt, in my mind, on it being factory built.  Could
it have been done at a dealership for a Chrysler corporate
officer?  Sure.

The car is very likely Special Order because of its paint and
possibly interior, however the late production of the motor
makes me doubt it was a factory assembled car.   Chrysler
factory cars with special drivetrain build-ups or modifications
typically have a spread between their build dates and shipping
dates of many days to weeks because the mods are done after the
assembly line in a custom shop.

The unusual decal still has to make one wonder.  Why would
anyone go to the trouble and expense to get one decal created
for one car?

Wayne