[FWDLK] Oil Pressure Problem

All,

I have a problem with oil pressure and I would like some advice from anyone.
My 55 Savoy (241) is showing "over the dot" high oil pressure when the car is
cold. (Car runs terrible) After it warms up the pressure shows normal on the
gauge.  I checked the gauge and it is in working order. I dropped the pan and
to my dismay I found about 2 inches worth of sludge in the bottom of the oil
pan. The crank also has black, sludge residue on it. I inspected the oil
pressure relief spring. It is fine and not sludged up.

I have recently replaced the intake manifolds and fuel pump. (Pump failed) My
question is where is the sludge coming from? When I rebuilt the engine in
1992, it was a lot cleaner. (It had no oil pressure, the crank was bad. It had
been welded and put back in the car by previous owners) Any suggestions?
Anything else to check? Thanks.

Mike Skiles