[FWDLK] Real car or just another Myth?

Back in the late 60's when I lived in Pasadena Cal, and would cruise
Colorado and Orange Grove Blvds in my '57 Fury, there was rumoured to be a
custom coupe which showed up at one of the local Big Boy drive-ins every
once in a while.

This "ride" was fitted with a small flat-head mill beneath the gull-winged
hood covers and would habit the local hang-outs seeking out who thought they
had the baddest set of "wheels" in town for a little stop light drag race
for fifty bucks or so.

It was told me by those who actually witnessed these clandestine events that
once the two vehicles were side-by-side, waiting for the "go" signal, that
the old coupe would suddenly come to life with one of the most god-awful
sounds ever heard on the street.  The light turns green and the coupe roars
off down the street leaving two smouldering strips of scorched rubber in its
wake, while the other driver was still trying to get his vehicle off the
starting line.

The coupe was known locally around the area as a (the) "sidewinder" and in
addition to the little flat-head up front, also had a transverse mounted
Chrysler 392 Hemi in the rear, which is what really won all the races.
After all these years and never actually having seen the car myself, I
wonder if this was simply one of those "Urban Legends" of automobilia fame
that never existed except in the imaginations of those who would never admit
defeat to an earthly competitor.

Can anyone enlighten me if such an automobile as a "sidewinder" ever existed
and if so, does it survive somewhere today?

Karl
<61 300G>
<64 Fury>