[FWDLK] Coarse VS Fine

Can someone explain why the difference between why there are fine and coarse
thread bolts and why they are used in different places. For example, I
needed to new bolts that hold my generator to the bracket. the originals are
fine thread, the store only had coarse thread. So is it ok to interchange ?

Nick