[FWDLK] Starting a motor without transmission installed

[FWDLK] Starting a motor without transmission installed

The world's slowest auto mechanic probably has enough time on Friday to
prepare his 230CID for starting, provided he doesn't take the time to
install the transmission. The clutch is in, aligned and the pressure plate
locked down.

So here's my question:  Do you think there's any harm, in running the motor
without the transmission in?  I suppose, in theory, that the tranny shaft
keeps the clutch plate from moving off center; but with the pressure plate
locked, shouldn't that keep the plate from sliding too, even at 1000 rpm or
so?

What do you think?

        Dan
        '55 Savoy