[FWDLK] Trying to start rebuilt engine

Folks,

The world's slowest automobile mechanic has finally gotten around to
cranking the flathead 6 he had rebuilt last summer.  Over the winter, I
occasionally threw a charge into the battery sitting on my workbench inside
the house.  When I went to put it in today, the hydrometer indicated a
decent charge -- but the water levels were down.  I topped off the battery,
and threw the charger on for an hour or two.

Now, the motor is really stiff when I go to turn it manually.  I can
actually do it with a regular 1 ft. ratchet, but I have to lean on it.  When
I crank by energizing the relay, the motor DOES turn, but very slowly -- and
always hangs up at one point.  I have to move it past this point manually.

Do I have a dying battery, as my friend seems to think?  I measure 6v at the
battery unloaded, and the following voltages under load:

battery 5v
relay out 4v
starter 3.5v

Granted, the cables and relay aren't ideal -- but they WERE working before I
pulled the block.

Any advice?

        adTHANKSvance,
        Dan