[FWDLK] Glass buffing, a story.

As a follow up to an earlier question I posted to this group, I thought I would pass along my experience of buffing out my windshield.

The windshield on my '59 Dodge had a virtual haze covering it due to tiny, unfelt scratches. Its was as if someone thought it would be a good idea to buff it out with 400 grit sandpaper. Doing some research on buffing glass, I found that if your fingernails do not catch on the scratches, they could be buffed out. In that my fingernails could slide freely across the glass, I thought I should take a chance. A new, correct windshield is running close to $800 so I felt I had nothing to lose. I ordered the Cerium and buffing wheel from Gary Goers and got ready to do the deed.

Overcoming some hesitation, I set about buffing. I started with the passengers side first, figuring that if I messed something up, I could still drive the car. It took me about 20min to cover that side of the windshield. Next, I cleaned the glass and the scratches were gone! My joy at the success of the project is measured alongside the degree of improvement I noticed. It was so bad before, it was annoying to drive, especially into any sort of light. Now, it is as good as new. Truly night and day. I went over and did the drivers side with the same results.

All in all, I did about 2 passes. I would guess that the whole project from start to finish took about 2 hours. It does make a mess all over your car. I would recommend covering the hood/top fender area, as well and the roof to minimize the amount of material on your car. In my case, the paint is not that great so I did not have a big worry about cleaning it off. If I had nice paint, I would use extra caution in wiping it off. Use plenty of water and just wash it off. I would guess that most of it would come off with minimal wiping.

Moral of the story? If you need to buff your windshield and it is like the one I described, give it a shot. It does make a mess, but that can be made easier to clean up with some prep work. The end results can be fantastic!

James
1959 Dodge