[FWDLK] Ron and the harmonic balancer syndrome

[FWDLK] Ron and the harmonic balancer syndrome

I have had 3 harmonic balancers turn on me to date.  2 were on 318s and one was on a 57 D-500.  Im not sure there are any left that are PERFECTLY  stable anymore.  One way of checking out yours is to pull the plug on no. 1 cyl,  bring the piston up to TDC,  then check and see if your timing mark on the balancer is right on the line for TDC>   if it is then you know it hasnt turned, if it is off,  it has moved,  I generaly just replace it with another but if you dont have another to replace it with, you can pull it apart, replace the rubber and reinstall it where it is supposed to be.  This seems to work pretty good.  It is advice that I recieved from a old mechanic of the 40s 50s and 60s.  like I said, it seems to work.  As to my knowledge, I cant remember any engines Ive worked on that didnt have one on them.

mel

Mopar Mels Classic Restorations
RR2 Box 6B1
Hwy 32 N.