Re: [FWDLK] 57 DODGE QUERY

--- "W.R. Amberger" <b3nr@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK members, got one for ya.
>
> I was going through my new owners manual for my
> "new" 57 Dodge. Noticed in the book that any pic of
> the "amp" gauge says "50", mine in the car and a
> spare set of gauges I just bought from an Ebayer say
> "30".
>
> What's up with that? Any ideas anyone?

In later years it wasn't unusual for polce package
cars to have higher figures on the ammeter, since they
had HD alternators and other such goodies. This may
have also been true that far back, although I don't
know. I do know Leece-Neville alternators were
available as part of the police and taxi packages some
years before Chrysler started putting their own
alternators on civilian stuff ('61 in the US, possibly
'60 for Valiant and other Slant Sixes?).

It's also possible the production models had lower
numbers, as was the case with Phillipe Courant's
Imperial speedo pictures (I think he has pics of a
140-mph speedo).