Re: [FWDLK] AFB carb problem

Good Morning, Nick,

I would like a few more details, such as is the problem when you first start it up cold in the morning?  If so, it might be a choke problem.  If it idles for a long period on a hot day and then dies, it might be a vaporlock problem.  It might also be something as simple as float level or dirt in the fuel system accumulating on the needle and causing a "slow-onset" flooding condition.

The latter would be characterized by a cloud of black smoke on restart and rough running until the spark plugs ran clean.

>From what you've said, I'd put in a clean filter (If possible) and check the float level and needle/seat area.

Here is another fact to muddle your thoughts:  During that time frame we had LOTS of problems with dirt in the systems.  The symptoms were as you mentioned.  The cure was to go from all-brass needle/seats to a needle with a viton ruber tip.  The rubber tip needles were much more forgiving as to sealing round small dirt particles.  I've not seen any all-brass needles in years, but who knows?

I note that others on the list have suggested valve problems.  It might be so, but frankly I wouldn't go there just yet, except for research...

Good Luck!!!!!  Let us know what you find.

Joe Savard
Test Driver/Mechanic
Chrysler Corp. Carburetor Lab, 1953-1961