Re: [FWDLK] NON STELLITE SEATS-Its an idea

2-stroke oil sounds like a good idea.  i just dont buy the whole non-lead issue... after successfully clocking 65,000 miles [from sept 01 till now] officially on my last trip up to philly with my 59... no head problems, not a hint of tap, smoke, etc.... thats 65,000 miles on top of the 47xxx orig miles on the 67 383 that went in it...

-----Original Message-----
From: DOLORES ECKERSON <eddee@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: L-FORWARDLOOK@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Mon, Jul 5, 2010 10:35 am
Subject: [FWDLK] NON STELLITE SEATS-Its an idea

HELLO MEMBERS
-Just passing something along that should work for you or atleast help the sutuation.

With non-leaded fuels today,,,,,if one will be using their classic for any road trip,, the word was to have the stellite exhaust seats put into the heads.
It is TRUE that after a period of useage (especially high speed) that the stock cast iron exhaust seats will literally wear away. If not caught early it will destroy the heads.

The problem is simply haveing 'lubrication' to the cast iron exhaust valve seat!
Lead did that!

I have a suggestion that should ALMOST take care of that withouit the stellite seats.

I am using 1 oz/gal of top grade OUTBOARD MOTOR OIL in the gas.
At this small amount there is absolutely zero smoke , plus it keeps the carb internals nice and 'lubed'. When low throttle or idylle--enough 'fuel' (with the oil) gets to lube the seat during valve overlap.
I do NOT take road trips but have all stock cast iron seats.

I THINK one could up this to 3 oz/gal for road trip protection with out any smoke. You may see a hint of smoke at idylle, but the new outboard oils are ashless and almost smokeless.

Its all just educated conjecture--but it wont hurt
ED ECKERSON
LI NY