RE: [Chrysler300] Paint Code and Leaf Springs

RE: [Chrysler300] Paint Code and Leaf Springs

Rich,

I'm not sure if after 14 years the paint would test the same due to some
natural yellowing or fading. At least white would be less apt to do that. I
don't think the technology with the paint scanners will tell you the
original color but just match it for a close mix. If you are to find a shop
that has the old books and chips, stay away from the cut rate chains like
Maaco, etc. Try and find a shop that has been in business for 50 or so years
and passed on through the kids. Hopefully the old man kept all of the old
stuff and they may be your best bet. Matching the paint is no problem and if
you were to repaint the entire car to the new style base coat-clear coat,
platinum white is probably been converted to it as it was a popular color
used on many models. The last time I talked to a chemist with Sherwin
Williams automotive division, he told me it was very costly for them to
convert the old paint to this so the ones they have done were based on
demand from their distributors and shops. I assume the same holds true for
the other auto paint manufacturers.

If you just want to get some spray cans of touch up, Tower Paint will mix
them for you by the can. If you order a couple and test it on an
inconspicuous area of the car you will quickly see if the repaint job of 14
years ago is right. You might just spray a scrap piece of car sheet metal
and hold it up to the car to see as well. I have conversed with Lynda at
Tower in the past and she has been most helpful. It's been a while so
hopefully she is still there, if not I'm sure their service is still great.
The website is www.towerpaint.com and her email was Tower Paint
[info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx].

Your mix code for the Platinum White is 8096. Again this is the Ditzler/PPG
code number. I'm copying this to the list for info and tips that others may
find useful as well. I'm sure you won't mind.

Whiteshoes