Re: [Chrysler300] Pinging & Timing

Hi Herman and Gang
Herman is correct. His statement re: water to remove carbon is as old as the hills as they say. Over 40 years ago we used to trickle water into the carb. Likely around 2500 to 3500 rpm. We never had rpm gauges so it was a guess work.
One thing Herman did not mention, I was taught to only do this with the engine at operating temperature. The engine will bog down if you pour water in to fast. It will spit and sputter, but should not die. The way I used to do it is to fill a small soda bottle or the like with a small opening that you can put your thumb over to control flow. Don't let the water gush in.
Another point Herman makes is blocking the heat cross over on the intake manifold. I highly prescribe to this practice. The motor may take a little longer to warm up, but the benefits are worth it. I am not an expert in this area, but the excess heat in the manifold plus the higher ambient air under the hood will dramatically reduce performance as it reduces air density. Motors thrive on oxygen. Look at any late model car and I think they all draw intake air through the grill and not under the hood.
I also remove the heat riser butterfly as it is no longer needed to force exhaust gas through the manifold.
Some may ask how do you block off the cross over on the intake manifold. Herman said it when he said he forgot when he had his engine down last time. You must have the manifold off. You need to physically block the cross over passage on both sides of the intake manifold. I use .020" stainless steel and cut approximately 1/4" larger than the opening on each head. Use a thin coat of RTV sealant and put onto head or the gasket. Let it set up so it won't go slipin and slidden when you go to install the manifold.
Hope my two cents helped.
Gary The Parts Doc