Generator Vs. Alternator - 2 cents answer

Generator Vs. Alternator - 2 cents answer

Hi Louis,

Somewhere in a back issue of the Club News, I think there's a tech article
by Dan Reitz ( dan300f@xxxx) about how to convert a 300F to
alternator.....

That said, considering the light usage the car will be getting, I'd strongly
suggest keeping it original. If you're not going to be travelling more than
300 miles away from home, and the car stops charging, you can make it back
home on your battery, and , worse case scenario, stop at any auto parts
store and buy another battery.

Please do remember that these generator equipped cars travelled 10's of
thousands of miles with their generators... and there's no reason that a
well-rebuilt generator can't keep on performing the way it was intended. I
have a '60 Windsor driver-type car here, used quite often, still equipped
with generator, never a problem with it, starts everytime and runs and
runs...

If you're going to err, please err on the side of authenticity. You'll never
regret it.

Last comment ( and not knowing your car..) : Greg Leggatt sells wonderful
brand-new and authentic and carefully made wiring harnesses for many years
300's including , of course, the 300F. You might be better off spending a
few bucks on replacing the wiring harness, at least the main one, if it's
been butchered up or is just plain old and tired. That will go a lot further
in terms of ensuring reliability than converting to an alternator !
leggatt@xxxx is his e-mail address..

Sincerely,

John