Re: This may cause some yelling and screaming

Re: This may cause some yelling and screaming

Regarding Jim McMullen's post on cam break-in: Jim, I think you're on the
right track, but I would suggest a slightly different (and kinder) technique.
Cam break-in is perhaps the single most critical aspect of engine break-in,
as the cam-lifter interface is subject to the highest point-to-point loading
in the entire engine.

First, most cam companies offer a cam assembly/break-in lubricant
(Crane's is a pretty blood-red) that is superior to molybdenum disulfide. Use
it.

Second, do not zoom the engine up to max revs. Not if you value it,
anyway.

Start and run the engine up to 2000 rpm MINIMUM, FOR AT LEAST FIFTEEN
MINUTES (15 minutes). 2000 rpm is the minimum speed at which you can be
assured that the cam lobes will receive adequate oil from the oiling system.
Fifteen minutes is how long it takes bed and work harden the lobes and lifter
faces.

After this initial period the engine can be run normally, though I am
still personally in favor of a "slightly vigorous" driving technique for the
first 100-200 miles or so to seat the rings. Note I said "slightly"-- no drag
racing!

300F'ly,

Roger Karlson