VIN's an Body Plates

Having been in the old car businees for close to 2 decades now, I can at least recommend the following....

If at all possible, never screw with VIN plates - or even body plates (much more common). No matter how exacting you are with your paint jobs !

Selling a clone car with a shifty body plate might be overlooked by most law enforcement agencies - but a VIN with shifty looking rivets will get you into far more trouble than it is worth. There are many old car nuts in the police department ! Believe it ! And with the internet thankfully providing them with all the information they need......well, I guess you get my point.

Although I do not speak from experience, I have been approached by countless folks who quite obviously have bought a "hot" car and ask me the very same questions (although they usually want to know where to find new door and ignition tumblers at the same time...) !

I am not accusing you - a fellow club member - of the same. I'm only warning you to be VERY CAREFUL if you want to pursue this detail in your restoration. Have you considered having a member of the law enforcement community inspect and photograph your car before you make such changes ???

Sean.