Fan clearance

>I just had the radiator recored a couple of monthes ago, so I was a little
>pissed. The clearance between my radiator and fan is 5/16". Also I have
just
>changed all my mounts, engine and transmission. What can be done to insure
>this doesn't happen in the future.

I would think that it will be hard to remove the fan cluth/fan assembly as a
chunk and not scrape the radiator fins or tubes with only 5/16" clearance.
Also, that seems really unnecessarily tight. Suggestion would be to move the
fan back. This suggestion would involve replacing the existing fan clutch
with one of different dimensions.

The OE fan clutch was a thermal type (and torque limiting types will
absolutey not work). The original Chrysler number for your car might still
appear in aftermarket cataloging and interchange to a new aftermarket part.
Four Seasons, AC Delco and Hayden are three brands that I know to be
reliable. A little time spent with their catalogs in the interchange and
dimensions sections should tell you if your fan clutch is the right one and
also if one is available that will move your fan back.

Any fan clutch is designed to properly engage and disengage and turn only a
certain design fan. Dimensionally matching up fan clutches can lead to too
much or too little fan lockup. So, the place to start would be with the OE
part number in hand. The OE fan clutch should always be the best solution
assuming nothing else is not where it was originally. Like, is your recored
radiator OE mounted and to OE dimensions?

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ