Re: [Chrysler300] Fan clearance

Hi Sean: Obviously something shifted. If you are sure all your motor
mounts and tranny mounts are tightened and in place, is your radiator
in properly? Check the shaft on the fan clutch for any play. If it wobbles
that could be the problem. On my 300F and '61 Newport wagon with
a 440 I have minimum clearance as it sounds like you do. I went looking for
a fan clutch and they all had a shaft that was toooo long. What I needed
was one no more than 3 inches front to back including fins. Finally at
Napa we found one 2 15/16. It's application was for a Ford 460, which
certainly would be enough for a 413 and 440. However the bolt pattern
for a Ford fan is different than the Chrysler bolt pattern. Napa has an 18
inch
fan blade that has 3 different bolt patterns, so I didn't have to go looking
for a Ford fan. Napa's numbers are: fan clutch 273370, fan 209855.
All of the listings I came across using the original part number led to a
fan clutch with a longer shaft, which I couldn't use. I do feel that there
is one out there somewhere. Hopefully somebody had better luck than
I did. An option to buying the universal fan from NAPA would be to
drill your original fan to match the Ford bolt pattern. I didn't want to
do the drilling which might weaken the fan.
I know I'll probably catch hell for what I have done, but I needed it just
as summer was beginning, I did what I did and it works for me!!!!
Good luck and Happy Holidays to all.
Gerry Steinberg
Arizona