You could use one of those tools they use to check ball joints for wear, it has a modified vise grip on one end that is used to grip some convenient solid location(such as the head of an intake manifold bolt) with a flexible arm attached to the dial indicator . Once the indicator is positioned over the rocker tip, a small lever is turned, which locks the arm in position.
Or you could figure out how many threads per inch are on the adjuster and determine the distance of one thread(for example 24threads per inch equals .0466 inch per turn) and calculate what portion of a turn out from zero would equal the desired lash setting.

Mike

At 11:29 AM 2/2/2003 -0800, obiwan10 wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: Roger L. Schaaf
To: Chrysler 300 list service
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 11:05 AM
Subject: P & G Valve Gapper for Solid Lifter Adjustment

Some 40 years ago a device was manufactured called the P&G(no not made by Proctor and Gamble) Valve Gapper for accurately adjusting rocker clearance on solid lifter camshafts.

It basically consisted of a dial indicator that mounted to your head(could have been magnetic I am uncertain now) and had adapters for each type of motor whether Chevy, Olds(when equipped with after market solid cam), Ford etc.

This lifter/rocker to be adjusted would be set to bottom dead center on the cam and this device with its dial indicator would give you a right on measurement of rocker/valve stem gap. A huge advantage was not only a perfect measurement on perfect rockers but also an accurate reading for those rockers that had been worn somewhat just as it is impossible to get a proper spark plug gap with a flat feeler gauge with somewhat old spark plugs because of wear on the ground electrode.

Anyone out there besides me remember these devices and what become of the company and its product? Were adapters ever made for Chrysler rockers. Anyone know where one could be found if ever made for Chrysler.

Would sure be nice for setting valve clearances on our 300's(those lucky enough to have a real 300 with solids--just funning you hydraulic types!!) as the book says to set them hot(yea sure by the time you get all the junk off to set them, like the engine has not cooled to room temp or colder--and totally forget motor running adjustment), and of course many of our old rocker arm stem contact ends are not perfect and a feeler gauge is of little accurate value.

Seems like should be a fairly simple product to build for you creative machinist types out there. Perhaps just the mounting mechanism and suggesting the dial indicator to buy.

To this day I am still astounded that this product seems to have gone the way of the buggy whip as I can remember a friend of mine setting the valves for the first time on his 65 Fuel Injected Corvette using one of these devices(after having just done them with a feeler gauge a week earlier) and how after using this device his motor sounded like a Singer Sewing Machine.

Roger Schaaf
300 B Calif