From: Warren R Anderson
To: Chrysler 300 list service ; obiwan10
Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 8:53 AM
Subject: [Chrysler300] P & G Valve Gapper

>Some 40 years ago a device was manufactured called the P&G(no not made by
Proctor and Gamble) Valve Gapper for accurately adjusting rocker clearance
on solid lifter camshafts.

>It basically consisted of a dial indicator that mounted to your head(could
have been magnetic I am uncertain now) and had adapters for each type of
motor whether Chevy, Olds(when equipped with after market solid cam), Ford
etc.

I had the experience of using a P&G valve gapper in 1958. We used it on a
Y-block 312 Ford. There was immediate smoothness and quiet. It does work. A
speed shop in Baldwin Park, CA, set up the valves in my C300 in 1962. I
bought a Model 300 set a good ten years ago at a swap meet in Phx. Since
that time I have made two good buys on e-bay for parts and adaptors but not
whole, working tools.

The company was in Portland, Oregon but I have been unable to find them as
P&G Manufacturing or as any other firm. We have many sources for specialty
tools but have not seen such a tool. There is no such tool for OHC engines
which is very near all that we work with today and that need periodic valve
adjustments (we are not a hot rod shop and deal mostly with
electronic/driveability troubles and, yes, we have fixed a number of
driveability problems with a simple valve adjustment).

The dial indicator measures relative travel of the rocker arm tip to the
valve stem. This is a more precise measurement than a flat feeler gauge will
provide. The tool is two barrels and adaptors. The outer barrel adaptor sits
on the valve spring retainer and the inner barrel pulls up on the rocker
tip. The dial indicator indicates relative movement of these two barrels as
the engine idles. The slower the engine will idle the easier it is to use
this tool. Because the needle on the dial indicator moves quite rapidly, the
tool has what we now know as 'freeze frame'.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ