Re: [Chrysler300] thanks

Phil,
If you can still find one, a point file is a good way to brighten up the points on an engine that hasn't been started for some time. They used to be available at any parts store but since electronic ignition, they are hard to find. Something that works very well, as a temporary fix is to use the corner of a business card between the contacts to polish them on an engine you are trying to start after extended storage. There is no chance of sandpaper grit dropping into the distributer and causing future problems, just be sure the paper isn't stuck between the points and preventing contact when you are done.
The first thing I do is remove the distributer cap and rotor and give a squirt of WD40 on the pin the points pivot on and also the felt in the center of the top of the distributor shaft to make sure everything is free, and then pry the points apart far enough to get the corner of the card in and make sure the points grip the card, then move it to polish the points. You should see gray carbon marks showing it is cleaning the contacts. I use several corners until the card doesn't show gray which means the points are polished. If the card comes out torn your points probably are pitted and should be replaced, but usually this will do a good enough job to establish a spark.
Okie Bob
Phil Greenfeld <pgreen413@xxxx> wrote: Thank you all with the firing order help, as well as the points problem.

Yes the car has been sitting for over 2 years after the engine was
completely rebuilt.So I will try try your suggestions.
I will say this about the group, since my Dad passed away (My answer
man)
I have had to try and get this car running on my own, the group has been

Very helpful,and I appreciate every bit of help that I can get.
Thanks again,
Phil

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT