[Chrysler300] Next step

>>Phil,

This type of problem is usually due to a high resistance in the circuit or
a bad starter motor. The resistance is the cheaper and easier to deal
with. I would remove and check all battery leads to be sure they are clean
and then tightly fastened. This means the positive battery lead on both
the battery and the solenoid end, the lead going from the solenoid to the
starter, both ends. The ground wire, battery end and engine block end. I
would remove the ground wire from the engine block and clean the block
surface and the terminal before re-tightening it. Look inside the wire
side of the terminals for all battery, ground and solenoid leads to make
sure that years of vibration haven't caused a significant number of strands
to break. If there are any home made connections like those clamp on
battery terminals, I would replace them or at least cut them off and redo
the connection. If any of the wires are green inside, probably best to
replace them as well.

A quick and dirty test of the solenoid is to use a jumper cable and jump
from the battery positive to the starter side of the solenoid. This should
not be done often, as it can really mess up the threads on the solenoid
when the spark occurs, but it should spin the starter pretty well if the
rest of the circuit is good. If it does, but the starter is slow using the
key to turn it over, it might indicate a bad solenoid.

On the distributor. If you have a multimeter, you can disconnect the wire
leading from the negative coil terminal to the distributor and check the
reading with the multimeter while cranking the engine. The distributor
lead should go to one of the multimeter leads and the other meter lead
should make contact with ground on the engine block. The meter should be
on the lowest Ohms setting. As the engine cranks, if the meter shows
alternating 0 ohms and then infinity, chances are everything inside the
distributor is good enough to at least start the engine. Make sure the
lead is disconnected from the coil before you try this or you could damage
the circuit on the meter. Using the same meter, make sure there is voltage
going to the positive side of the coil when the key is in the run
position. Make sure the voltage is still there while cranking, as it is a
different circuit while cranking, that cuts out the ballast resister.

Hope this helps.

Bill Huff