RE: [Chrysler300] Rear Axle Bearings - more info?

RE: [Chrysler300] Rear Axle Bearings - more info?

Hi John and Group,

This discussion has been going on for at least 20 years that I am aware
of. Same arguments, same logic. There is no doubt the tapered bearing is
stronger, it is also a lot more temperamental. If the end play is not set
correctly, spalling and brinnelling are the result. Also, if the end play
is not set properly, the resulting slack is hard on the seals. As I
recall, Art Morrison developed the green bearing specifically for
Mopars. I can't speak to roundy round racing, but I have been drag racing
two Mopars in the 425-450 HP (rated, not rear wheel) range for some 20
years and never had a problem (or a leaky seal) yet. One of the cars was
my daily transportation for several years. Have pulled the pumpkins several
times to change ratios and just slid the axles back in. The same stock
retainers are used, so the safety retention of the axles remains as the
factory intended. I like the green bearings and intend to continue using
them unless strong evidence is presented that they really don't work
properly. My experience does not indicate that.

Bill Huff