57 generator needed in place of ?

Hello list.
I think I figured out why my a/c-generator belts don't allow me to get the set screw in the right posision for tensioning.
If you look at my generator straight-on, the mounting bolts being at 6 o'clock on a dial face, the 'ear' for the set screw is at about 2 o'clock.
>From pictures I've looked at in various books/manuals, it appears that I have a later generator, like maybe for 59 or 60, and that a 57/58 unit should have the 'ear' at about 10 o'clock instead. No wonder the bracket had a 'mickey mouse' extra piece of metal to reach the ear.
Just looking for confirmation as I can't make out the numbers on the painted-over data plate on my generator. The good news is it works great, and charges well, just doesn't look right.
john