Re: [Chrysler300] Chrysler be warned re new 300 - TBird bites dust?!

Re: [Chrysler300] Chrysler be warned re new 300 - TBird bites dust?!

Hi Christopher

The new Thunderbird was initially planned for a 4-year
run, with a limited number of cars each year. I'm
unclear if they're falling short of that plan, but I
think they achieved more or less what they set out to
do. They built the car cheap by using the Lincoln LS
platform and that car's 3.9 V-8 (I believe that's the
only engine it got in the US) and they created a lot
of buzz for a while, and got people into Ford
showrooms.

This is different from the new 300 in a couple ways.
The 300M is just a slightly smaller/sportier version
of the "big Chrysler." There is nothing unique about
it otherwise - it's a relatively high volume car. The
300 name had nothing to do with its success, they
could have called it anything. The next version "300C"
or whatever, will be a little more interesting, but
still a mass-market product.

Yes, the 300 name has already been diluted, but you
must understand it doesn't have nearly the name
recognition of the Thunderbird. Everybody knows a
Thunderbird. How many here know the 300 letter
series? Hardly any. People still think my car is
Cadillac or Studebaker as often as a Chrysler, never
mind a legendary Chrysler 300. It just never made the
impression the T-bird did on American culture. I'm
not sure why Chrysler bothered to revive the name at
all.

You may criticize the new T-bird all you want, but it
has stayed true to its heritage. Jim Mateja of the
Chicago Tribune asked the main T-bird marketing guy if
there would ever be more doors or a back seat, to
which he replied "over my dead body."

Regards,
Andy

--- christopher beilby <thelastbestgenius@xxxx>