Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Fuel problem - answer

Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Fuel problem - answer

Patrick,
Sorry I left this unexplained. The shaft that drives
both the distributer and the oil pump is itself turned
by a gear that meshes with a gear on the camshaft.
When I had a shaft worn where it runs in the bushing
and replace it with the heavy-duty shaft, instead of
trashing the worn unit I grind all the teeth off so it
can be slipped back thru the new bushing and the lower
end engaged with the oil pump. Then the slot that the
distributer shaft fits in is where the screwdriver is
used to turn only the shaft and oil pump, since the
gears are not there to mesh with the cam gear.By
turning the shaft in the direction it normally turns
the oil pump is the only part of the engine working.
When the oil guage shows pressure, you know the
bearings are pre-lubed and the engine will need to be
timed before the distributer is installed. The new
shaft with the teeth needs to be installed properly
according to the instructions in the shop manual. It
needs to be located and spiraled into place so that
the slot the distributer tang fits in is pointing
straight forward with the engine on top dead center on
the firing stroke on #1 cylinder. If you don't have a
shop manual, borrow one or get someone to zerox the
pages since this is critical to being able to time the
distributer correctly.
I hope I haven't confused the issue more: I'm sure if
you can get ahold of a shop manual and look at the
section on distributer timing, figure 35, page 9-21 in
my 63 book, you can figure out what I'm trying to say.
Okie Bob