Re: [Chrysler300] 300H Fuel problem - answer

Robert Merritt wrote:

> Patrick,
> Sorry I left this unexplained. The shaft that drives
> both the distributer and the oil pump is itself turned
> by a gear that meshes with a gear on the camshaft.

snip

> The new shaft with the teeth needs to be installed properly
> according to the instructions in the shop manual. It
> needs to be located and spiraled into place so that
> the slot the distributer tang fits in is pointing
> straight forward with the engine on top dead center on
> the firing stroke on #1 cylinder. If you don't have a
> shop manual, borrow one or get someone to zerox the
> pages since this is critical to being able to time the
> distributer correctly.

snip

> Okie Bob

Humm, this is something I didn't do years ago. BUT what I did do
was to double check TDC, with Solid lifters this is easy to do
if you have done the timing chain right, and after everything
(mostly all buttoned up and ready for firing) was in place I
dropped the Dist. in place and installed the rotor.
Checked exactly which terminal of the cap it was closest to and
then rotated the Dist. Until the Rotor was dead center on a terminal.
That became #1 and I wired up the plug wires from that reference
(at least this is what the old tired brain cells recall).

THE ONLY mistake I made was to tighten up the Dist. hold down while
the motor was on the engine stand. Used a hand wrench.
When it came time to do the fine tuning, of course the 392 was in the
car by then, I couldn't get a long enough handled tool in there to
loosen the thing back up.
Yup, off to the tool place to buy the "correct" tool for this.

--
Paul Holmgren
Hoosier Corps #33, L-6