Spark plugs,

Hi all experienced hemi (392) mechanics,

I have a question about what is given in the service manual chap. 45
SPARK PLUGS, sect c

"No gaskets are used on double rocker shaft engines"

I think the very same topic was discussed not long ago on the listserver
but have been unable to track down the reply to what is the meaning of
the given recommendation.

Is the instruction that one ought to remove the washer originally found
on the new spark plugs?

When looking at an old (original ?) one it has no washer, but then again
if comparing the overall length from seating to the top electrode it
measures; 0,04" shorter if washer is kept on a new plug and 0,04"
LONGER if the washer is cut away.

Have I misunderstood the intention if removing the washers, and will
there be any risk for close contact while measuring length longer than
compared to an old spark plug (new and old spark plug are different
brands)

Grateful for some good advice on this,

Ulf Larsson, 3N57 2660