Re: [Chrysler300] 300F smog test

In a message dated 8/25/2003 10:33:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
laurence_g_johnson@xxxx writes:

> This serves to point out that the 60's high performance and muscle cars
> weren't the big offenders with regard to air pollution. Their engines were
> fairly efficient and had good combustion characteristics, thats why they
> made a lot of power. They took the rap while the real offenders were the
> millions of six cylinders and low compression V-8's that powered grocery
> getters and family sedans.

New Jersey is getting closer and closer to California as far as
emissions go, but I have refused to register my cars as historical because if you
do, the state only allows you 3,000 miles a year. I'm still not sure how they
can legally limit your dirving outside of the state, but they do.

In any event, because I have regular plates, the cars have to pass
inspection every year. While they do have somewhat lower standards for older
cars, both the G and the K go right through without a problem. I don't know what
the actual numbers are, but both cars have gone through without any playing
with the fuel system to make them lean. Of course, the G is still a fairly new
engine (maybe 6,000 miles) but the K engine has been around for a while. I
guess these things are better than we thought.

Pete