Re: [Chrysler300] final re new 300C and '57 brakes idea

Re: [Chrysler300] final re new 300C and '57 brakes idea

1. With regard to Phillippe Courant's '57 front brake dramas - over here in Australia you cannot buy the original (narrow) front brake cups that go in the wheel cyylinders. And if you use the normal wider ones that are supplied, the bleed return hole in the cylinder cuts the lip of the cup when you apply the brakes hard, and thereafter the fluid bleeds out onto the lining, causing the brake to grab exactly like Phillippe said.
You either have to use original narrow brake cups, or shorten the metal push rods that attach to the brake shoes. Phillippe, check your brake cups, if they are like here in Australia, that is your problem - the leak is not large, so if use car regulary, not too bad - but leave it sit a week or so, and whammo, grabbing brake.

2. Thank you to those who seemingly agreed with my 'annoyance/anger' at Mercedes prostituting the 300C name/image on what to me seems a clearly unfortunate product.

Since seeing they have the 'stupidity?' (arrogance?) to invite owners of real 300s to their launch ( We all hope it is not a 'sinking' ?!), I realise there are more important things than spending time on people (Mercedes/ Chrysler?) who possibly are too stupid to realise what others can plainly see?

The bottom line is America has not built many memorable cars since the early 70s, and meantime other countries have improved hugely. If Mercedes choses to put people in charge of Chrysler who obviously are out of touch, do not listen, or do not know the basic rules of building/sellling cars, then that is their right, and we all can/will buy product (non Chrysler) from those other better companies that build cars for people who know what they want, and where to get it. (I think i earlier mentioned Ford here in Australia built an unpopular looking car, went from No 1, to nearly bankrupt - they have re-styled the car, and now are knocking on No 1 position again.)

What can I/we do?!

I used to subscribe to Car & Driver in the late 60s, and what I might do is drop them a line, asking them to sample an original 300C in looking at any new 300C.

Whose car can I suggest they use - preferrably it should be a coupe, and ideally with wire wheels, and very well sorted re good shocks, radials, and the carbs, transmission and exhaust well set up.
(Of my 3 300Cs, only one has the carbs/linkage well sorted - it flies once it gets to about 25-30mph, maybe runs the quarter in around 15 seconds, otherwise is basically stock.)
How common are such cars other there, and especially if they have the KYB shocks - this is the sort of original 300C we must make journos aware of - who can nominate a few for them to maybe experience?

Over to you, just been driving my '58 Cad convertible at an event for pre 70s cars that starts down near the beach and runs up into the hills behind (Adelaide a bit like LA only way smaller) - 1980 entries, and about another 200-500 non entereds. (don't get too excited, lots of British, one '60 New Yorker Coupe, '56 NY Convertible, '53 and '56 Packard Carribean, then mainly other more normal 'yanks').

GM may have stuffed up badly since, but they sure nailed that seat and ride combination in the '58 Cad range, especially if you have the top down. May not handle like a Chrysler, nor have the punch of a hemi, but you are riding in maybe the most comfortable car bar I know what. Now if Phillippe had his '57 Imperial convertible here, what a day, comparision that would be. That was when Chrysler and Exner really knew about building knockout cars, cars to be proud to own/drive. That shot of his '57 Imperial convertible shows how well Exner pulled it off.

Aussie Christopher