Re: [Chrysler300] Re: In Defense of The Parts Man... e-Bay 300 parts

Re: [Chrysler300] Re: In Defense of The Parts Man... e-Bay 300 parts

Greetings Sean and all 300 club members!
Wow! I really got a kick out of this one. Now that I am one of the
"salvage yard workers" it is neat to know we have a (small) fan club! If
you don't recall. I retired from law enforcement this spring and went to
work at Freman's Auto, a classic and collector car salvage yard here in
Montana as the yard manager(fancy title for a parts puller). My boss drives
nothing newer than late 70's vehicles, rarely vacations anywhere, and while
not scratching to make ends meet, far from a wealthy man.
As more and more yards disappear for various reasons, the parts
available for the 40's thru 70's cars are rapidly dwindling and the supply
of cars to "re-stock" are disappearing as well. Even in remote Montana we
have a Junk Vehicle Law that sends many real good parts cars directly to the
crusher. Once the state program, administered by each county, gets a vehicle
given to them by the owner- it cannot be sold or parted out- it has to be
crushed. In Montana in the last few years, at least 20 yards have closed
forever, for various reasons- retirement, EPA laws,court orders, poor
management etc.
Both my boss and I love the cars, the hobby and meeting many interesting
people from all over the World, many have become friends as well as
customers. Yes the parts are getting expensive in many cases- but ask
yourself this- What else in this world is cheaper now than 20 or 30 years
ago or even the same price? I used to buy three spoke woodgrain steering
wheels out of B body cars that were mint for $5, $15 at the most, but then
almost every yard you went to had at least one or two, 300's, Road Runners,
Super Bees, R/T's etc.
We deal with the State on a regular basis- environmental laws, fencing
regs, titles, etc. Pay State, County and Federal taxes on inventory,
property taxes, insurance, Worker's Comp taxes, etc. Then we have to find
the cars, buy them, haul them to our yard, pay hired help to pull parts&
pack and ship them, fix the trucks and trailers used to haul the cars, buy
license plates etc. etc.
I know you all realize most of this, but I thought I could give the
group a fresh view of all this and something to remember so that when any
yard or parts seller gives you a price and you think- GAWD that's high
priced!- costs are high for us too- fuel, electricity, etc. and rarely does
anyone give away cars to us......(They do to the state, and it is a great
way to rid the world of 80's FWD generic junk.) Remember- you could buy a
brand new Chrysler in 63 for just over $2,000.00, a J for around 5 grand.
Now a 300M is around 30 grand, gas is $2.00 a gallon and with winter coming
what are our utility bills going to look like?
Just because it's a "junk yard" doesn't mean what's there is junk and
didn't cost the "junk man" anything and that he is out to strip your
wallet....... for Neil and I it is not just a way to make a living- it is a
way to do so doing something we really enjoy, meet new people and make new
friends, see old friends (both the cars and people!) and yes, we do feel
that we help people make their dreams come true by helping them find that
part(s) to put that "dream" on the road again- it's a great job I have and
if you are ever up in this part of the world- be sure and stop in and see
us- even if all you want to do is browse thru the yard and see all the
"memories" that we have out there..... as for the individuals on ebay that
seem to want to make the most $ they can- it is a free market, driven by
what someone is willing to pay. And yes, with some hesitation we are getting
into ebay as well, attempting to generate $'s from parts that seem to go
begging, mixing some rare and oddities as well. A business owner who
ignores opportunity to increase business will fail to survive. Sorry I
rattled on so long, and I guess it is "off topic" as far as our letter cars
and the server goes, again my apologies to all.
Joe Pierce "Yard grunt" and 300 lover J+Kx3+M+others.